Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Termites
So there is this interesting event that happens once a year. Near the beginning of rainy season, all the termites hatch out. They come out at night and are attracted to the lights. I don’t know what termites look like in the states, but I always assumed they were small little things. Well, here in Nigeria they look like dragonflies or something. They have wings and their body is a couple inches long. When they hatch out, they are everywhere. We were at an indoor event at a school and you could see them congregating in the front of the room near the lights. People started shutting doors to get them out. We have a car port area at our house and there is a light in there. When we got home, there were just hundreds of termites in there. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to take a picture because we were on our way out. When I got back, our night guard had already killed them all and gathered them in a bucket to take home. Apparently, Nigerians love these guys. They pull off the wings and fry them up. I haven’t really seen a lot of bug eating here, but these are really popular. They say that they are really good for you. I think I will just stick with my regular diet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment